LIFE SCIENCE SECTOR IN INDIA
- The Biotech industry in the country is concentrated around the major Bio-clusters in Karnataka, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh . Karnataka holds around 30% of the biotech units in the country
- Southern Indian States are emerging as Biotechnology/ Life Sciences destination in the country
- Kerala’s share in life science sector is only 2% of India’s total bio economy
LIFE SCIENCE SECTOR IN KERALA
- Potential Sectors include Biotech R & D Services, Bio-Informatics, Bio- Services, Bio-Medical Technology, Bio-Pharma, Nutraceuticals etc.
- Focus on novel research areas such as Biologics, Marine Biotechnology, Sericulture, Animal Husbandry, Agro-biotechnology, Bio-algal fuels, Stem cells researches, Bioactive compounds from herbs, Animal Vaccines, Bio-flavours, Bio-fragrances, Bio-materials etc.
- Emergence as a potential biotech export hub harnessing core strength in value added products from spices, medicinal plants, marine resources etc. Opportunity for NRI investments.
- Business support
- New Biotech Policy
- Specialised mentoring support for entrepreneurship development,IPR knowledge etc.
- Commercialization of technology
- Academic Industry linkage
- Public-Private Partnership
- Access to finance
- Poor reach to Venture Capital investments.
- Inadequate industry ready manpower
- Inadequate infrastructure for innovation & economic growth